Casino Stud Poker is a hugely popular version of poker which you can play online – and it might just allow you to grab some nice bonuses to boost your bank balance when playing against the house.
There is no bluffing or another kind of deception, making it a simple yet exciting casino classic. It’s thought to have been invented in the early 1980s, although, unusually for a relatively new game, its origins are not well documented.
How to play
How to Play Casino Stud Poker
This version of the famous card game poker is pretty similar to Five Card Stud, the only significant difference being that you play against the dealer representing the house rather than against other players.
As a player, after you and the dealer have been dealt your five cards face down, you need to decide whether to call and play stronger hands against the dealer, or surrender your ante and fold weaker hands if you feel you can’t compete with whatever the dealer has.
The former option means placing a bet twice the size of the original ante if you wish to continue your hand. It also exposes all cards, so there’s a showdown between your hand and the dealers.
Rules of the Game
- To kick Casino Stud Poker off, players place ante bets and have the option to choose to place a $1 progressive side bet.
- The dealer shows one of their cards to the players after dealing, which offers extra information about their hand.
Payouts and Jackpot
As mentioned previously, you generally have the chance to bag a nice progressive jackpot by placing a nominal (and optional) side bet. The size of these jackpots will depend on how popular both the casino room and the game itself are when you play.
A Winning Strategy
Broadly speaking, learning to play Casino Stud Poker is pretty easy, with just a few strategy pointers to consider.
- Perhaps the best advice is to call any pair or better and fold anything lower than an Ace or King. This notably enhances the chances of winning, while reducing the house edge.
- Raise if the dealer’s card is between 2 and a Queen, and matches one of yours. Also, raise if the dealer’s card is a King or Ace, and your hand includes a Jack or Queen.
- Finally, raise if the dealer’s rank doesn’t match any of yours, or if you have a Queen in your hand and the dealer’s card is less than your fourth highest card.
Play Caribbean Stud Poker on MoPlay
Launched only in the summer of 2018, and licensed and regulated by the UK’s Gambling Commission, MoPlay is operated by Gibraltar-registered Addison Global Ltd.
This site has a youthful appeal and has been designed with mobile in mind, with also a generally user-friendly layout plus a generous welcome bonus. While there’s a strong focus on its sportsbook, and it’s a betting partner with Manchester United, for example, there is also a good line-up of table casino games including Caribbean Stud Poker.
View other online poker games available at Roger.com.