Ice hockey is one of the fastest sports in the world today. Skating on the ice at massive speeds is impressive enough before adding in a puck. It is a fascinating sport to watch, with the end to end action making for an exhilarating experience. This makes for added excitement when you have some sports bets on the line also.
- Stanley Cup – The biggest event each season in the National Hockey League (NHL) in the United States and Canada is the Stanley Cup. Teams fight for this prestigious cup each season, and the successful club will be the NHL champion for the next year.
- Winter Olympics – The Olympics competition is naturally only for international ice hockey teams. It has been a key part of the Winter Olympics since the early 20th century. Since 2018, NHL players cannot compete in the competition due to financial reasons.
How to play
Types of Ice Hockey Sports Betting Odds
The types of betting markets for ice hockey games are very similar to what you would see with the likes of football. The match winner markets are of course going to be the predominant option. Then you have futures betting for the likes of the Stanley Cup competition.
Goalscoring related markets are also very popular, whether it is betting on certain players scoring goals in a game or the total goals that will be scored or the correct score come to the end of the game. Over/under betting markets as a result are popular when dealing with the total goals options.
Important Ice Hockey Betting Terms
There are a few terms associated with betting on ice hockey that a lot of people may not be too familiar with.
- Puck Line Handicap – This is a type of market that is unique to ice hockey games. It is a form of spread betting. If there is a puck line of 1.5 for the favourite time, this means that there will be a +1.5 goal head start given to the underdog. Therefore, if you are betting on the favourite then they need to win by at least two goals in order for your bet to be successful.
- Over/Unders – This type of market allows you to bet in favour or against a certain eventuality happening. For example, you may bet that there will be over 1.5 goals in a given game.
- Correct Score – This type of bet allows you to predict accurately the final score in a given fixture, with no margin for error.
Tips for Ice Hockey Betting
Perhaps the most popular way for you to bet on an ice hockey game is through the handicap options. This will even the playing field if one team tends to be more dominant than the other. You can then add these handicap bets together through multiple bets, to get lucrative odds from small stakes.
A lot of people like to focus on prop betting. This means betting on actions that a given player takes during a game, such as how many goals they score or how many shots they take. Whatever the case may be, you want to be sure that you are well-versed with the current form of the given teams in a matchup, their historical head-to-head record at that given venue and the players that may be missing due to suspension or injury.
Ice Hockey Sports Betting and Offers
There are a few notable bookmakers that focus a lot of time on their ice hockey betting markets. At Roger.com, you can quickly see which of these operators is an ideal fit for you. This will save you the time that you would otherwise spend reviewing each of the relevant operators.