If you are getting involved with online bingo for the first time or you are just looking to brush up on some of the most common terminologies in the game, then this guide is for you.
It will showcase some of the most popular words and statements that you will likely come across when you are using the best online bingo sites in the world today. The last thing you want is to be confused about certain terminology and letting this cost you on the bingo playing field.
Your Guide to Bingo Terminology
- 90-Ball: This is perhaps the most popular type of bingo game that you will come across. It has traditionally been the main type of bingo that you will come across at a land-based bingo hall in the UK. It will see 90 balls in total being in play, with the cards that players buy having nine squares, with five numbers across six different rows.
- 75-Ball: This is another highly popular variant of online bingo. There will be 75 numbers in the pot, ready to be called out. There will be numerous iterations of 75-Ball games, including those titles which contain jackpot elements. This is perhaps the most popular type of online bingo game that you will come across in the United States. There will be a 5×5 grid of numbers on each card.
- Bingo Board: The bingo board is the portion of the screen on which you will see each of the numbers that have been drawn out from the pot.
- Blackout: This is a type of bingo game in which the goal is simply to mark every single one of the numbers on your card.
- Card: A card is going to be the ticket that you buy in order to enter a given game of online bingo. There will be different numbers on this card, with the goal being to match numbers to those that have been called out. Different games will have their own requirements and patterns that will allow you to win different types of prizes.
- Chat Moderator: The person who is the chat moderator will be tasked with monitoring the chat features on an online bingo site, making sure that nobody is getting out of line.
- Chat Room: Most online bingo sites will have chat rooms where you can chat with our users on the site.
- Free Space: On 75-Ball cards, the centre square will be always left blank, which is called the free space.
- Full House: This is when you mark off every single number on your card.
- Jackpot: Certain bingo games will have a jackpot feature that can be triggered when you get a certain pattern or a full house within a predefined number of calls.
- Pattern: Each game will have its own requirements for a player to win a prize. The game might give rewards when you mark off numbers on the card in certain patterns.
- Progressive Jackpot: This is a type of jackpot that will constantly be building. A portion of each ticket price will go towards building the total, with it constantly rising until it has been won. To win the jackpot, you will usually have to get a full house in a certain amount of calls.
- Single Line: This is when you complete all of the numbers on your card across the same row.
- Two Lines: This is when you have completed two full rows of lines on your bingo card
If you are going to be engaging in the chat rooms on the bingo site with fellow players, there are some common terms that might prove useful to you:
- GL: Good luck
- WD: Well done
- WDW: Well done winner
- TY: Thank you
- GG: Good going
- BRB: Be right back
- TC: Take care
- GM: Good morning
- GN: Good night
- WB: Welcome back
- YW: You’re welcome
- BTW: By the way
- IMO: In my opinion
- LOL: Laugh out loud
- JK: Just kidding
- NP: No problem
- OMG: Oh my god
- PM: Private message
- MPSL: Peeing myself laughing
- LMAO: Laughing my ass off
- ROFL: Rolling on the floor laughing
As you can see, there can be a lot of shorthand speak in the chat rooms. Therefore, over time you will start to become familiar with this terminology and start to use it yourself when you are communicating with these different people.
If you are looking for bingo sites with great chat features, you can have a read of the Roger.com expert reviews on the best platforms in the UK today.